Cross Cultural Breakfast

A few years ago, I was drinking a cup of coffee with Jennifer, my first American friend. I was staying at her house, and she told me to cook whatever I wanted for breakfast. Still tired, she unsteadily walked into the kitchen.  She asked what I was making and I answered with the menu: green salads, rice, miso soup, and left-over roasted chicken breast. She became speechless, shocked because of the salad and chicken for breakfast.

I know that the typical American’ breakfast consists of pork, eggs, toast, and possibly corned beef. But following my Japanese customs, I naturally prepared the breakfast using left-over chicken and many vegetables. Normally, for breakfast along with rice and miso soup, I like to use leftovers from the night before, so as not to leave any food left over.

Since that morning I have been questioning where the customs for breakfast traditions came from? I had asked many Americans why they don’t serve salads and non-pork products in the morning. No one could give me an answer. I realized it was my first meeting with the social norms of American life.

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Discover more from INSIDE PORTLAND STATE

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading