By Shezad Khan
This is my fifth year at Portland State, and my last year as an undergrad. It’s very common remaining for half a decade in one place is enough to make you sick. In March I received an email letting me now that I had been accepted into a Master of Arts in English Graduate Program. Obviously, I was incredibly excited and even a little proud of myself. Can you guess where I’ll be attending school for my years as a graduate student? How about somewhere else in the state or even a neighboring state? Maybe the east coast, or even out of the country!
Alas, the answer is that I’ve decided to stay right here, in Portland, to attend Portland State for another few years.
So what is about Portland State that is so enticing? I’ve met people from several different states and several different countries who moved to Oregon so they could go to school here. Maybe I should have taken the time to ask what influenced their decision. But since I don’t have their points-of-view, I will offer mine.
- My family moved to Portland when I was just two-years-old. Although we moved out of the city itself, Portland will always be my home.
- My first visit to Portland State was overwhelming. It seemed enormous. Although it looks a little smaller now that I’m used to it, it’s still a giant campus.
- The diversity of students and staff is incredible. I came from a high school of about 3,000 kids, there was diversity there, sure, but nothing compared to the wonderful cultures that mix at PSU.
- I’m always learning something new about the campus.
- There is always some sort of event going on. I seriously need to take advantage of this one!
- The staff that I’ve had the honor of working with and taking classes from are simply amazing.
- Last, but definitely not least, I have met some of the coolest people at Portland State. With so many attending students, it’s hard not to make friends.
I’ve enjoyed my last five years at PSU, and I have no doubt that I’ll continue to enjoy it during my years in the Master’s Program, regardless of how long it takes.