By PSU Social Media Contributor
Millions of students, including a staggering 42% at PSU, are food insecure. That’s why Portland State University offers many resources on campus to provide access to free food and assistance.
The PSU Food Pantry is available to any PSU student taking one or more credit hours. Hours are Mon., Tues., Fri. 12:30-3:30 p.m.; Wed. & Thurs. 2-5 p.m.
Free Food Market
Everyone is welcome to come to PSU’s Free Food Market, held on the second Monday of each month, rain or shine. The market has given out over 321,000 pounds of food since April 2015. All are welcome, and volunteers are needed.
Students may get up to 5 meal vouchers per term, good for free meals at Victor’s and Ondine. There are only a few vouchers left for fall term, and more will be available for winter term.
Help for students with children
The Winter Wonder program, coordinated through the Resource Center for Students with Children, provides crucial support to our PSU students with children, many of whom struggle to make ends meet during the holiday season.
SNAP food benefits
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is a federal and state-funded program providing food benefits to eligible, low-income individuals and families. Special criteria exist for higher education students, and it’s now easier to qualify.
Hardship Funds offered to students in School of Business, School of Social Work, College of Urban and Public Affairs, the College of Education and other departments. The Student Financial Wellness Center can connect students to resources and assist with navigating financial hardship.
Other basic needs assistance
- University Housing offers jobs that come with rent benefits.
- Transition Projects offers food, medical care, showers, and access to emergency & transitional housing. (503) 280-4700
- A Home for Everyone offers a list of emergency shelters.
- C.A.R.E. helps students find resources and offers a resource guide. (503) 725-4422
- Showers are available at the Rec Center for students.
- Services for Students with Children offers child care assistance, food, clothing, and other services for students with children. (503) 725-5655
- Veterans can seek assistance through PSU’s Veterans Resource Center: firstname.lastname@example.org, (503) 725-9807; and Multnomah County Veteran Services: (503) 988-3620
- Call or text 211 to find more resources or go to 211info.org