Last choice is a winner

The other night I had a sort-of epiphany: If I hadn’t have chosen to go to PSU, my life would be so different. I realized how much life has changed since the moment I stepped into my new dorm room, anxiously awaiting the arrival of my roommate whom I’d had yet to meet.

I will admit, I chose PSU as a last resort, due to the unfortunate realization that I simply could not afford to go to any of the private schools I’d been accepted to. I was heartbroken that I wouldn’t be leaving for a new adventure and going to a big-name private school that received impressive eyebrow raises from high school teachers and parents alike. Little did I know that my decision to attend PSU would end up being the best thing possible.

Had I not gone to PSU, I wouldn’t have accidentally discovered what would become my lifelong passion of Argentine tango, nor would I have discovered the vibrant community. I wouldn’t have had so many late night adventures, mischievous and innocent alike, wandering this city that I’ve come to love so much with some of the closest friends I’ve ever had. I wouldn’t have become so green-minded. I wouldn’t have spent the summer roaming the streets with a German who I met coincidentally while hiking Oneonta gorge. I probably wouldn’t have decided to change my initial major of international studies into a double major of economics and French. I also wouldn’t have had the millions of laughs with the Resident Assistants that I’ve become so close with over the past two years.

And to think: all of this because of my choice to attend PSU. Looking back, I’d say I’ve reached a pretty good place, and I’m happy with where my life is headed. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Posted

in

by

Discover more from INSIDE PORTLAND STATE

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading