By Naomi Kolb
As graduation approaches, I find myself in the same boat as many of my fellow soon-to-be-alumni: I still don’t have a job or other obligation lined up for after graduation on June 17th. In the hopes of securing a job soon, I thought that I’d share part of my job-hunting experience. . . by the numbers.
- Days since I submitted my first job application: 60
- The number of applications that a Career Services Adviser told me was average to submit before landing an interview: 25-30
- The number of applications that my coworker told me was average to submit before landing a job: 50-60
- Applications that I’ve submitted so far: 15
- Applications that I haven’t heard back about at all: 10
- Positions that I’ve interviewed for: 2
- Job offers that I’ve received: 0
Hopefully sharing my experience will help give my peers a better idea of what to expect when job hunting in Portland! Applying for jobs while still being a full-time college student is stressful to say the least and entirely unattainable for a lot of us. As many enter into our final days at PSU, I just wanted to say congratulations to all that are graduating and good luck on whatever your next endeavor may be, even if you don’t quite know what it is yet.